build on VS2008?

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Hello, I would like to use the SDK under Visual Studio 2008.

So far I tried just linking to the binaries, which did not work for me. Then I noticed there were  project files and a solution in the source package, so I would like to try building from source. As I need to use VS 2008, I cannot directly use the vcxproj and sln files from the source package, obviously.

I understand that the generate.py file can automatically create the project files. As this project dates back to before VS2010 I tried looking for older revisions of generate.py that create .vcproj files, so i could merge the parts I need into the current version, however I could not find revisions of this file that are older than february 2011.

Simple string replacement in the project files (that  sometimes do the trick in c# projects) can not be used here, as the internal sructure of the vcxproj files seems to have changed too much.

As far as I see, CMake can also not be used here.

I could try to create an empty solution, create empty projects and manually place the source code in them. Though this seems tedious and error-prone to me, it appears to to me to be the only way for me to use this SDK.

Did I overlook something? Is there a quick and easy way to build libOPC using VS2008?

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Another vote here for VS2008 support if at all possible. I'd like to use it in other projects and am running into issues with using 2010 bins with 2008 ones.

I've tried compiling mce on its own (as a test). Two main blockers are stdint.h missing (added in 2010, though versions available online). Also iconv.h is missing, though this can be got from the GnuWin32 project. 

Make sure the various settings are copied from the VS2010 project where applicable. I've managed to get it to compile as a result - getting linker errors atm, but I think that's just some missing libpaths.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM

It looks as though it is possible to build using the VS2008 compilers from VS2010 - you will need to change your target to v90 rather than v100.

You will need to obtain the stdint.h header from somewhere and set all the projects to find it in an include directory (or just place it in one of the common ones).

I've not yet tried linking to the binaries but they will all build using this method.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:30 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2016 at 1:30 PM
Lllama wrote:
It looks as though it is possible to build using the VS2008 compilers from VS2010 - you will need to change your target to v90 rather than v100. You will need to obtain the stdint.h header from somewhere and set all the projects to find it in an include directory (or just place it in one of the common ones). I've not yet tried linking to the binaries but they will all build using this method.
This works fine for me! Thanks!